About the Vassar College Libraries Collections
Thompson (Main) Library Collections
Most of Vassar Library's collections are housed in the Thompson Library and are accessible through the libraries' online catalog. The online catalog also links users to the library's electronic reserves.
Archives & Special Collections Library
The Catherine Pelton Durrell '25 Archives and Special Collections Library is the principal repository of the College's noteworthy collections of rare books, manuscripts, archival records of Vassar College, and other special materials. It is located in the Main Library, on the ground floor of the Ingram Library addition (north end).
Art and Music Libraries
The Art and Music Libraries' collections, while separated physically from the Thompson Library collections, are accessible through the libraries' online catalog. The Music Library is in Skinner Hall. The Art Library collection is housed in Van Ingen, between the Thompson Library and Taylor Hall. The Visual Resources collection, available through the Luna database, is managed by the Art Library.
The Libraries feature numerous digital collections, including:
- Student Diaries and Student Letters collections, with most materials fully transcribed and searchable
- John Burroughs Journals
- Images of Early Vassar
- Lucy Maynard Salmon and Adelaide Underhill exhibition (includes narrative and links to a selection of transcribed letters)
- Vassar College Digital Newspaper Archives (includes a wide range of newspapers published by Vassar College students from 1872-present)
- Vassar Music Programs (curated by the George Sherman Dickinson Music Library)
- Vassar's Millionth Volume, Govard Bidloo's Anatomia Humani Corporis (1685)
- Albert Einstein Digital Collection
- Susan B. Anthony papers
Visit Vassar's Digital Library for more information, additional collections, and searching (opens new window).
Digital Window (Institutional Repository)
Digital Window is Vassar College's institutional repository, reflecting the research and scholarly outupt of the Vassar College community. It provides access to many collections, most notably a variety of senior theses and projects from disciplines ranging from American Culture to Urban Studies.
The Vassar College Libraries' collection development and management policies provide a framework for the breadth, depth, continuity, flexibility, and excellence of the library collections. The Archives & Special Collections Library also includes a framework for transferring rare and special items to its collection through its Library Material Transfer Policy.