Information for New Students
Everything You Need To Know About The Libraries (Don't Be Afraid To Ask!)
Welcome to the Libraries! We are here to help you in any way we can to navigate the libraries and their resources. The Libraries are beautiful and have many appealing spaces where you can study or enjoy a quiet place to meditate. Please take advantage of our resources and services. Ask questions whenever you need to do so.
Reference librarians are available to help you use indexes and find sources for your papers and projects. You can contact us in a variety of ways: email a short reference question (email@example.com), text us, call, stop by, or schedule an individual research consultation. See Ask a Librarian for more information.
How do I borrow ...
- Books: Check out books at the Circulation Desks (Main, Art, and Music) with your Vassar ID card. See Circulation Services for more information.
- Laptops. Check out Chromebooks at the Circulation Desks for in-library use only. Must be returned before closing on day checked out.
- Videos/DVDs. Search the online catalog by title or subject (video recordings) for a list of DVDs and videos. DVDs are located just outside the Periodical Room on the second floor. Check them out at the Circulation Desks.
- Reserve Materials. Search online catalog by instructor, course name, or course number. Check out readings, recordings, and other items at the Circulation Desks.
How do I return?
Return items to the desk where they were checked out. For after-hours returns, use the outside book drop at the after-hours entrance/exit on the north side of the main library building facing Chicago Hall. Please return items to the proper desk during regular hours whenever possible.
How do I renew?
How long can I keep a book out? A DVD? Will I be charged for bringing them back late?
Most books can be kept out for a month. Other material, like DVDs, need to be returned sooner. For detailed information on loan periods and fines, see Circulation Services.
Books not at Vassar can be borrowed from other libraries. Always check ConnectNY first to see if the book you want is available through our local NY network. If the book is not available through ConnectNY, request it through ILLiad, another Interlibrary Loan system. For information on using ILLiad and help setting up an ILLiad account come to the Reference Desk.
Copies of articles, books, videos/DVDs put on course reserve by faculty can be found at the Circulation Desks. Electronic reserves are linked from the catalog. Check the online catalog to see what is on reserve for your classes.
- Come into the libraries to use one of our desktop computers (we have both PCs and Macs) or to borrow a laptop.
- Bring your own laptop and use our wireless network to work anywhere in the libraries.
- Use state-of-the-art multimedia equipment in the Digital Media Zone (DMZ) for advanced computing. The DMZ is located in the main library, room 152.
Printers & Copiers
The Libraries use the VPrint system for printing and copying. All active students receive a quota assigned to their Vassar Student ID Card. Each printed 8.5" x 11" standard laser print is charged at $.05 per side against this balance. Put money on your card in the Vassar Card Office (online or in person). You can login to print from any computer on the network and send your printing to a print release station. For help with VPrint, contact the CIS Help Desk at x7224 (845-437-7224).
The main library also offers two BookScan stations, which allow scanning to your email address or a USB drive. The stations are located on the first floor (in the DMZ) and on the second floor (just outside the Periodical Room).